Rabid-Coot

Sonic Forces (Playstation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC)

71 posts in this topic

Surprised it took this long to attempt to cash in on the fandoms character making habit.

Can't help wondering if this was Boom Sonic at one point in development.

Does this mean that 2/3 main characters will be mute?

I wanna play as an Agouti.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:20 AM, Kono Mike da said:

It really doesn't make him a credible threat anymore.

Erm...when has Eggman ever been a credible threat in the last decade? This is nothing new.

If Eggman was actually a credible threat then all those bad jokes about him being so pathetic would have some degree of actual subversion to them, and good jokes are against everything this franchise currently stands for.

I love Eggman's character when written correctly, but unfortunately nobody currently in charge of writing for this series has any clue what he's about.

Deviant Art knows its business.

UT1nrTH.jpg

I'm going to name mine "Original the Character".

Though seriously, they can introduce create a character but can't have Tails and Knuckles playable in a main 3D game?

Posted (edited)

On 18/05/2017 at 3:36 AM, Shaun Shikeishuu said:

I'm going to name mine "Original the Character".

Though seriously, they can introduce create a character but can't have Tails and Knuckles playable in a main 3D game?

If the character creation can make them and you can slap their names on it. I'm fine with that.

Last time I remember fluidly playing with Tails in 3d games was Sonic Adventure 1. Sonic '06 doesn't count for being awkward and dumb.

Edited by Azure Prower

16 hours ago, Azure Prower said:

Last time I remember fluidly playing with Tails in 3d games was Sonic Adventure 1.

Sonic Adventure gave too much flying power to Tails. If you know what you're doing, you can basically skip half the level on most of his stages, especially Windy Hill where you start at the highest point and travel down to the lowest. Even without doing so his levels are extremely short, but that's probably more to do with the space restrictions on GD-ROMs not leaving room for more levels than anything. That and Sonic Adventure being a bit awkward and unrefined, more a showreel of what the Dreamcast is capable of then a straight Sonic game. Hence the wildly different styles and presence of Big, a cash-in on the fishing sim fad of the time. The fandom nowadays thinks Big is the most insane and pointless addition to any Sonic game, but he makes a lot of sense if viewed in that context. I don't think he should be in a Sonic game, but he's not completely inexplicable like everyone makes him out to be. 

Also, I've stopped caring about Forces unless it gives me a reason to become invested again, so I'm this is going to be my last long post on how disappointed I am with it. I'll spare you all more of the same. But Forces has given me no reason to think I'll enjoy it any more than any previous Modern game and I have zero interest in playing more of that style, add to it that the Classic levels are entirely made of flat surfaces with next to no slopes, as if the level designers have literally zero clue how those games even worked. I will absolutely try it when it comes out because I can never be 100% sure, but considering how little I enjoy Modern I have very little reason to expect this will be wildly different when it looks exactly the same. That said, Generations is OK, but I don't care for the Modern levels, just the Classic. The problem is Forces looks to have super boring level design on its Classic sections.

For the record I am positive about Sonic Mania, because even if it's a retreat it's a retread of some of my favorite video games ever made. I'm OK with that, especially if it means opening the door to more 2D games in the vein of the Genesis classics. If SEGA does that, I won't care if the new 3D games don't appeal to me because I'll still have the 2D games to enjoy.

Well, my college classes are still waiting for me to get back to them and pull all-nighters to get them done in time for Friday, so I'm going to keep complaining about Sonic on the internet until they do themselves.

I made a conscious decision to approach Forces with positivity because I was sick of being the cynical old Sonic fan. I want to fucking enjoy my favorite video game franchise for the love of God. Do you think I want to think new Sonic games are garbage? Do I think I enjoy watching the rest of the fandom praise the Sonic Boom cartoon for being "smart" when it's just hitting all the right notes to pander to newly medium-aware 13 year olds? I know my love for my true favorite Sonic games is genuine enjoyment beyond a simple nostalgia, and that's because I've completely lost interest in some but not at all in others. Pick up Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles or any number of my other favorites, for example, and I'll still have fun. Meanwhile, every time I've sat down and tried to play through Heroes again I just get bored and have zero interest in continuing it. I have serious issues with that game that I did not have back in the 2000s. I'd love nothing more than to adore new Sonic games but I just don't have fun playing them. They do not appeal to me in the way that the styles of many past games before do. That's all. No being blinded by nostalgia, no declaring Modern objectively inferior, it's just not my cup of tea. The end.

It's so easy to just accept that Modern and Adventure fans are simply fans of a different kind of game, yet flamewars constantly erupt around me for mentioning Adventure 1/2 in a positive way. Even Facebook fan pages specifically for Adventure seem to have people hang around just to go on about how terrible they think they are, people literally going out of their way to antagonize others for liking something they don't. This is the level of toxic parts of this fandom have reached. Among many other similar incidents in one Discord server I've since left because of the toxicity of its members, somebody's literally flipped out and quit the server in response to me calling Colors "overrated". He felt perfectly justified to say "Adventure is shit" to me after I had just called it one of my favorites, yet he demanded I all but write a thesis about what's wrong with Colors to explain why I don't enjoy playing it. I couldn't calm him down, he was so infuriated at me for disagreeing with his opinion even in a perfectly diplomatic way. I literally couldn't have done anything short of kiss his ass and agree with him to quell that situation.

Again, super psyched about Mania. I'm so happy I can play as Tails again. I want to snuggle his face. QT TAiLS KAWAII SWEETHEART BB <3 <3 <3 <3

...what? Yeah, I'm a cutesy fangirl. Did the rest of my post imply otherwise?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 22/05/2017 at 10:43 AM, Kyoko Soryu said:

Sonic Adventure gave too much flying power to Tails. If you know what you're doing, you can basically skip half the level on most of his stages, especially Windy Hill where you start at the highest point and travel down to the lowest. Even without doing so his levels are extremely short, but that's probably more to do with the space restrictions on GD-ROMs not leaving room for more levels than anything. That and Sonic Adventure being a bit awkward and unrefined, more a showreel of what the Dreamcast is capable of then a straight Sonic game. Hence the wildly different styles and presence of Big, a cash-in on the fishing sim fad of the time. The fandom nowadays thinks Big is the most insane and pointless addition to any Sonic game, but he makes a lot of sense if viewed in that context. I don't think he should be in a Sonic game, but he's not completely inexplicable like everyone makes him out to be. 

Also, I've stopped caring about Forces unless it gives me a reason to become invested again, so I'm this is going to be my last long post on how disappointed I am with it. I'll spare you all more of the same. But Forces has given me no reason to think I'll enjoy it any more than any previous Modern game and I have zero interest in playing more of that style, add to it that the Classic levels are entirely made of flat surfaces with next to no slopes, as if the level designers have literally zero clue how those games even worked. I will absolutely try it when it comes out because I can never be 100% sure, but considering how little I enjoy Modern I have very little reason to expect this will be wildly different when it looks exactly the same. That said, Generations is OK, but I don't care for the Modern levels, just the Classic. The problem is Forces looks to have super boring level design on its Classic sections.

For the record I am positive about Sonic Mania, because even if it's a retreat it's a retread of some of my favorite video games ever made. I'm OK with that, especially if it means opening the door to more 2D games in the vein of the Genesis classics. If SEGA does that, I won't care if the new 3D games don't appeal to me because I'll still have the 2D games to enjoy.

Well, my college classes are still waiting for me to get back to them and pull all-nighters to get them done in time for Friday, so I'm going to keep complaining about Sonic on the internet until they do themselves.

I made a conscious decision to approach Forces with positivity because I was sick of being the cynical old Sonic fan. I want to fucking enjoy my favorite video game franchise for the love of God. Do you think I want to think new Sonic games are garbage? Do I think I enjoy watching the rest of the fandom praise the Sonic Boom cartoon for being "smart" when it's just hitting all the right notes to pander to newly medium-aware 13 year olds? I know my love for my true favorite Sonic games is genuine enjoyment beyond a simple nostalgia, and that's because I've completely lost interest in some but not at all in others. Pick up Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles or any number of my other favorites, for example, and I'll still have fun. Meanwhile, every time I've sat down and tried to play through Heroes again I just get bored and have zero interest in continuing it. I have serious issues with that game that I did not have back in the 2000s. I'd love nothing more than to adore new Sonic games but I just don't have fun playing them. They do not appeal to me in the way that the styles of many past games before do. That's all. No being blinded by nostalgia, no declaring Modern objectively inferior, it's just not my cup of tea. The end.

It's so easy to just accept that Modern and Adventure fans are simply fans of a different kind of game, yet flamewars constantly erupt around me for mentioning Adventure 1/2 in a positive way. Even Facebook fan pages specifically for Adventure seem to have people hang around just to go on about how terrible they think they are, people literally going out of their way to antagonize others for liking something they don't. This is the level of toxic parts of this fandom have reached. Among many other similar incidents in one Discord server I've since left because of the toxicity of its members, somebody's literally flipped out and quit the server in response to me calling Colors "overrated". He felt perfectly justified to say "Adventure is shit" to me after I had just called it one of my favorites, yet he demanded I all but write a thesis about what's wrong with Colors to explain why I don't enjoy playing it. I couldn't calm him down, he was so infuriated at me for disagreeing with his opinion even in a perfectly diplomatic way. I literally couldn't have done anything short of kiss his ass and agree with him to quell that situation.

Again, super psyched about Mania. I'm so happy I can play as Tails again. I want to snuggle his face. QT TAiLS KAWAII SWEETHEART BB <3 <3 <3 <3

...what? Yeah, I'm a cutesy fangirl. Did the rest of my post imply otherwise?

First off. Holy balls of multi-paragraph reply. Let me toss in my own. But smaller!

Any way. Sonic Adventure gave a lot of flying power to Tails. Yes it did. And I enjoyed it! But as you mentioned, it was much too short. Yet it is the best we've really got out of Tails on the 3d platform for nearly 20 years...

I'm kind of on the opposite spectrum for Sonic mania. It just seems like what any other fan game can do. Some thing just seems off to me. But if you want your Sonic 3 and Knuckles nostalgia. Sure why not.

Sonic Forces looked like Sonic Generations 2 at first. Seemed okay and worth a look. But I must say I'm kind of intrigued about the character creation announcement. We'll just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Every one has their own opinions on what is a good and not good Sonic game. S3K and Sonic Adventure 2 are nearly universally accepted as what Sonic games should be. They're my top favourites too. Some liked Sonic Heroes. I didn't like it despite finishing it.

Hell. My opinion is unpopular among many. I finished and LIKED Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06. Both had their redeeming qualities despite many people claiming it to be the worst games of the series.

My pick for the worst game of the series is Sonic Unleashed how ever. Introduction of quick time events, collectable crap gating regular game progression and that god awful 'werehog' abomination. Not to mention that dumb, Gaia character sidelining Tails. I bought and finished basically every major Sonic game up until that point. I didn't buy that one, I got it as a gift and felt bad for the one who bought it for me. I didn't finish it. It killed the franchise for me.

Didn't return to playing the Sonic series until Generations. Waited two years after it came out to get it cheap after hearing it had good reviews. I liked that one and it's the last one I've played since. I just stick to the greats and not pick up every yearly trash Sega churns out.

But honestly. Sonic and his attitude really hasn't aged well. Just seems like an all out douchebag lately. Sonic boom is really hammering that in. So much for being the main protagonist of the series.

Tails is the only reason I stick around in the Sonic fandom still. Maybe even Shadow for that guilty pleasure of emo edge hog.

Edited by Azure Prower

On 5/24/2017 at 6:30 AM, Azure Prower said:

But honestly. Sonic and his attitude really hasn't aged well. Just seems like an all out douchebag lately. Sonic boom is really hammering that in. So much for being the main protagonist of the series.

Honestly, the Sonic of Sonic Boom isn't remotely the same character as he used to be. None of the cast are, perhaps least of all Knuckles and Eggman who have been bastardized beyond belief. How well the older stuff has aged is really an entirely different debate. Boom is manufactured to appeal to young audiences of the 2010s; it knows exactly which notes to hit to suck them in and make them think it's being smart and subversive but without actually having anything under the surface.

Either that or the writers just have literally no fucking clue what Sonic is about but managed to accidentally appeal to a decent chunk of the fanbase anyway. You'll happily accept a reinvention of something you like that's nothing like the original if it appeals to you in other ways. The downside is that it's really awkward and not funny, and has paper-thin plots and characters. You could never stick two of the Boom cast in a room for 11 minutes and make an entertaining episode. There's nothing there unless something is happening for them to bounce off of. One of my favorite episodes of any show ever is "Marooned" of Red Dwarf, which is just Rimmer and Lister crashed on an ice planet and being stuck together until they're rescued. One of the most brilliant 30 minutes of TV ever and the majority of it is just two guys in a room, trying to stay sane by talking to each other. You not only get entertaining jokes about the situation at hand, but in just listening to them tell each other stories to stay occupied and not go crazy, like how they each lost their virginity you learn a lot about the characters that goes far beyond just cracking one-liners. They're are fully fledged people. Boom's cast are just cardboard cutouts with two or three traits each, on which 100% of their behavior comes from. In a show like Boom, which is basically a sitcom (let's not pretend otherwise) the characters should in most cases be the drive of the comedy and the plot. But with characters that flat you basically need to be throwing stuff at them the whole time for them to bounce off of because they don't have enough of a personality between them to be funny on their own. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, it's just done super poorly here.

Add to that overall flatness of the characters the fact that they're not even close to their original canon personalities. Making Knuckles basically retarded is the kind of thing an 11 year old writing a bad comedy fanfic does because their entire understanding of the character is "he gets tricked by Eggman". A professional damn writer should be able to do more than that. Knuckles has been a great character in the past, but now his entire function is to say random things. And I say random instead of dumb because dumb actually has some sort of logic behind it, just not good logic. Random follows no pattern. Basically nothing Knuckles could say would seem out of character because there are zero established patterns in how he thinks. As long as what he says is incorrect or makes no sense, THAT'S OUR KNUCKLES. 

That's a bad character. That's bad writing.

Tails is the only reason I stick around in the Sonic fandom still.

They've flattened Tails down to nothing more than the smart guy who builds gadgets and delivers exposition. He's defined by his hobby now. All his other traits, basically all the reasons I fucking love him are all but totally absent now.

And if anyone says "that's all there ever was to Tails", I will write an essay on him and force you at gunpoint to read it until you actually understand the damn character as he always was before the Modern era.

Some liked Sonic Heroes. I didn't like it despite  it.

Heroes was far too long, tedious, and had a broken engine thanks to Sony forcing the entire thing to be recoded late in development so it could be ported to the PS2. Having a variety of gameplay styles like the Adventures might have saved it since the base Sonic-style gameplay wasn't up to scratch, but that would be putting a band-aid on cancer.

I finished and LIKED Shadow the Hedgehog

I found the game deeply, deeply tedious as if someone had looked the Chaotix hermit crab level in Heroes and went "HEY, LET'S MAKE AN ENTIRE FUCKING GAME OUT OF THIS". And that's not even touching on the story, which took Adventure 2's fascinating and dark backstory mythology and played Mad-Libs with the unanswered questions, filling every blank in with "ALIENS DID IT". The blatant connections in Pr. Gerald's research to Chaos and the ancient echidnas of Sonic Adventure 1 is just completely ignored.

Any way. Sonic Adventure gave a lot of flying power to Tails. Yes it did. And I enjoyed it! But as you mentioned, it was much too short.

Really this is mainly due to the Jet Anklets. You really need them to do Speed Highway well, but they retroactively make every stage before it far too easy. Since you can't choose to play without the upgrades, you're kinda stuck with all his stages except for the final one being too easy.

Fortunately, none of SA2's upgrades had that effect on earlier levels. I've always seen it as Adventure 1 refined down to its best elements, and built on from there.

Maybe even Shadow for that guilty pleasure of emo edge hog.

Everything I love about Shadow was completely dropped and replaced with the emo edge shit. SA2 and Japanese Sonic X were the only places where he was actually written well. Shadow the Hedeghog and 4Kids Sonic X wrote him the worst.

4Kids Sonic X went so far out of their way to butcher him that in the 3rd season they basically cut his entire motivation for getting involved in the conflict, and his attempt to kill Cosmo because he felt he had to or everyone else would die was rewritten to just turn Shadow into an evil asshole who taunted them the whole time. Gone was him telling Tails to get out of the way because he didn't want to hurt him. Gone was him refusing to explain why he was trying to kill Cosmo on the grounds that it wouldn't make a difference, Tails still wouldn't allow him to hurt her. Instead, he just goes in the most dickish smug voice ever, "I have a reason. But I'm not going to tell you what it is!" Shadow was cool because he had the same goals as Sonic and co. but was willing to go to any lengths to achieve them, way into the moral grey. Making him an evil dickweed and cutting all his reasoning for doing what he's doing really betrays that.

Again, one of my biggest gripes with this franchise is when it totally butchers characters I like.

There's probably better places to discuss this stuff, but nobody posts elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Kyoko Soryu said:

There's probably better places to discuss this stuff, but nobody posts elsewhere.

We love a good argue in this fandom, I'm sure you could start a topic about characterisation and we could get some good what we feel was done right/wrong across the various versions talk.

Hero's theme for avenue park: 

Prepare for cheesy lyrics and a female vocalist that fucks up the lyrics + autotune

Might have been ok without the vocal track.

The instrumental part starting at 0:33 is pretty good, the male vocals are ok but once the female vocals start, ouch.
She's so unintelligible

The avatar character reminds me of mega man quite a bit.

Posted (edited)

On 20.04.2017 at 7:20 AM, Kono Mike da said:

I hope he is. I'm tired of him being betrayed by whatever Force Of Doom he is currently using. It really doesn't make him a credible threat anymore.

But, I am right 😎

Edited by STH

Posted (edited)

The new villain is the arch rival for your OC. His name is Selihpem. He has Shadow's and Big's DNA. Is half robotic. Is some sort of demi-god with a tragic past. OC, do not steal.

New villain's real confirmed name is 'Infinite.'

Edited by Azure Prower

Holy crap its a loose adaptation of Robotnik Reigns Supreme.

3m7sIU8.jpg
khUUDsw.jpg
PpVgPx2.jpg
k99aV2w.jpg
Botwq06.jpg
2I62JQx.jpg
hx4GIpj.jpg

13 hours ago, STH said:

But, I am right 😎

Hey, Chaos! Old pal. C'mere. Sit down. Have some tea. How are you?

Kidding aside, that doesn't really prove your point. Just because Eggman assembled The Kick-Ass Team Of Baddies™ doesn't mean he isn't the main villain. He will probably be betrayed though! Yahoo!

Anyone notice in the game play video where Classic Sonic is battling Eggman and Eggman says Classic Sonic is from another dimension? I'm wondering if Shadow and Chaos are from another dimension or an alternate timeline where the events of the Adventure games never took place and they never met Sonic.

13 hours ago, Shaun Shikeishuu said:

Anyone notice in the game play video where Classic Sonic is battling Eggman and Eggman says Classic Sonic is from another dimension? I'm wondering if Shadow and Chaos are from another dimension or an alternate timeline where the events of the Adventure games never took place and they never met Sonic.

That's pretty much the solid theory going around.

Though mostly. Other Sonic forums and video comments I've red are too hung up on Shadow and Chaos being unrealistically evil again to comprehend this simple idea. Lots of typical Sonic fan base spaznes going on. Got to love it.

Looking forward to how this pans out. The game that is.

Modern Sonic's stage seems to be quite short.