Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STH

Canon & Non Canon; Meaning

9 posts in this topic

Simply;

Canon = Ongoing Official Main Timeline (That is, the Main Story)

Non Canon = Completely Alternate Timeline (There is no effect on the main story)

That's my idea.

Do you agree with that? Or do you have any other ideas?

1 person likes this

Yep, those are the well-established definitions of those common terms alright.

But I think the real question is whether or not Sonic can even be considered to have a real canon at all since '06. It really depends on how loose your definition is. There's clearly a distinct canon of Adventure 1, 2, Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog even if that last one is better off forgotten, but that doesn't carry over into Modern where every entry is distinctly standalone in terms of an overarching narrative of any kind, or at least the mythology part of it (i.e. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's ancient echidnas and chaos, which play into the stories of both games).

Does Modern even have actual mythology shared between its entries? Somebody who played those games more than I did help me out here.

In sonics case games are canon. Comics, books, tv shoes etc are non canon.

Although if you want to take it further a non-canon spin-off can have its own internal canon.

As for the games canon I think most stuff happend but it's also mostly self contained, a few plot threads will carry over for a game or two but generally the big reset button gets hit to keep things friendly to newcomers.

We did go in to the subject a little a while back http://forums.soahcity.com/index.php?/topic/320-the-canon-and-continuity-of-the-sonic-games/

I meant whether or not there's continuity between the Modern games. Not canon, that's the wrong word.

Posted (edited)

On 07.04.2017 at 11:21 PM, KyoSo said:

Yep, those are the well-established definitions of those common terms alright.

But I think the real question is whether or not Sonic can even be considered to have a real canon at all since '06. It really depends on how loose your definition is. There's clearly a distinct canon of Adventure 1, 2, Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog even if that last one is better off forgotten, but that doesn't carry over into Modern where every entry is distinctly standalone in terms of an overarching narrative of any kind, or at least the mythology part of it (i.e. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2's ancient echidnas and chaos, which play into the stories of both games).

Does Modern even have actual mythology shared between its entries? Somebody who played those games more than I did help me out here.

In fact, many stories in Sonic games start and end in style. It would not be wrong to just say that Shadow's history has been told during several games.

Surely there are some connections between the games on the modern main timeline. For example; Wisp's Generations from the Sonic Colors, Lost World and Forces.... 'Classic Sonic' from Generations, will appear at ''Forces'' and will be processed in pre-acquaintances with the Modern Sonic (in the generations game). Also in the generations game there were regions (stages) of previous games. There are these types of connections.

Edited by STH

Posted (edited)

On 08.04.2017 at 0:25 AM, Rabid-Coot said:

In sonics case games are canon. Comics, books, tv shoes etc are non canon.

Although if you want to take it further a non-canon spin-off can have its own internal canon.

As for the games canon I think most stuff happend but it's also mostly self contained, a few plot threads will carry over for a game or two but generally the big reset button gets hit to keep things friendly to newcomers.

We did go in to the subject a little a while back http://forums.soahcity.com/index.php?/topic/320-the-canon-and-continuity-of-the-sonic-games/

Games are 'canon' of course, but I guess we can not say "canon" for each game. In order for a game to become a canon, the story must pass through the main timeline. If we judge from this point of view, we need to take into account the fact that they are doing the continuing games and expanding the universe (Sonic Team).We can say that the games that the Sonic Team has developed or helped to develop are passing through the main stage (Except for exceptions which are not obvious in the main timeline). From this point of view, it would be more accurate if only those games were canons. 

I have made a list of the games on the '' Modern Sonic '' main timeline, some time ago;

Sonic Adventure (1998) 
- Sonic Adventure 2 
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle 
- Sonic Advance 
- Sonic Advance 2 
- Sonic Battle 
- Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut 
- Sonic Heroes 
- Sonic Advance 3 
- Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) 
- Sonic Rush (2005) 
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) 
- Sonic Rivals 
- Sonic and the Secret Rings 
- Sonic Rush Adventure 
- Sonic Rivals 2 
- Sonic World Adventure (Unleashed) 
- Sonic and the Black Knight 
- Sonic Colors 
- Sonic Generations 
- Sonic Lost World
- Sonic Forces

Also, thank you for the link.

Edited by STH

Are you really grouping all those spinoff games into a canon?

On 15/04/2017 at 8:38 PM, STH said:

I have made a list of the games on the '' Modern Sonic '' main timeline, some time ago;

Sonic Adventure (1998) 
- Sonic Adventure 2 
- Sonic Adventure 2: Battle 
- Sonic Advance 
- Sonic Advance 2 
- Sonic Battle 
- Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut 
- Sonic Heroes 
- Sonic Advance 3 
- Shadow the Hedgehog (2005) 
- Sonic Rush (2005) 
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) 
- Sonic Rivals 
- Sonic and the Secret Rings 
- Sonic Rush Adventure 
- Sonic Rivals 2 
- Sonic World Adventure (Unleashed) 
- Sonic and the Black Knight 
- Sonic Colors 
- Sonic Generations 
- Sonic Lost World
- Sonic Forces

Wait so is this your idea of the Modern Sonic timeline in order or is this just you listing the games that are canon?

I don't see games like Rivals, 06 and the Rush series working as canon. Especially when Rush, Rivals and 06 have different backstories for Blaze and Silver. And I'm not even going to acknowledge the Storybook games as they don't have a solid place in the timeline. Also, SA1 + SADX/SA2 + SA2B are the same game so they should be listed as a single game. Generations is a bit of an oddity as well due to it acknowledging Sonic 06 which removed itself from the canon and Eggman been stuck in the white void with no means of escape. You also left out Sonic 4 which is a modern game and should take place before SA1.

Edited by Chaos-Fusion

Maybe we should look at it in terms of games that refer to or directly connect.

Sonic 2's Death Egg is followed up in 3 and Knuckles.

Tails saving the city in Adventure is mentioned in Adventure 2.

Shadows death in Adventure 2 is part of the plot of Heroes.

Shadow the Hedgehog has ties to events in Adventure 2.

Advance 3 has a robot derived/rebuilt from Emerl in Battle.

Sonic 4 has ties to CD.

Generations is the big one with levels referencing 1, 2, 3K, CD, Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, 06, Unleashed, Colours with dialogue refering to Colours and Secret Rings.