Followers 0
Shadon Xarian

Is Tails truly as smart as Eggman?

Who is smarter?   1 member has voted

1. 1. Who is smarter?

• Both are equal
    • Eggman is smarter
    • Tails is smarter

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

The series always says that tails and Eggman are equal in smartness, and it shows in sonic X in a way. An example being Tails's ship the Typhoon, his version of the Egg carrier.

But in the games, I don't remember tails ever building a Miles carrier (Typhoon) or an army of robots to fight back against Eggman. He's always building that Tornado which doesn't stand a chance against the egg carrier without a chaos emerald, and was outsmarted by Eggman like in SA2 where eggman nearly killed sonic (Though to be fair, that incarnation of Eggman probably had an IQ of 9001 since he was smart, powerful, did things himself, and even took down his own creations by adding weak points just in case.)

Eggman also created multiple robots with their own emotion and feelings. A few are Gamma, Metal Sonic, and Omega.

Now tails is showing his smartness in games like lost world and unleashed but I'm talking more about back then, and even now I don't think its nearly to Eggmans level. I mean tails should have known that Eggman would see through the 2 chaos emeralds, he SHOULD have left a chaos emerald behind before boarding the ark, letting the chaotix watch it for a bit while he brings the fake emerald alone. He probably would have won that way. Or at least severely stall Eggmans plans.

But anyway, what do you think, do you think that Tails shows the same intelligence as Eggman? Or do you think that the equal IQ is just there purely for rivalry and IQ's don't mean a thing in the Sonic universe? 

It depends on what you mean by "smart". There are a bunch of components to intelligence, and only Mary Sues have all of them.

IQs don't necessarily mean anything in the Sonic universe (and in real life are not remotely as definitive a measure of intelligence as popular culture makes them out to be), and Tails' mechanical skill isn't necessarily indicative of actual intelligence as much as it means he's an extremely talented engineer. I'd argue that as a kid who is often depicted as very naive would make him less intelligent than Eggman, even if they have comparable skill in engineering.

But Tails is also supposed to be eight years old. If this is him as a child, what does that say about his true potential?

That said, the portrayal of the characters is inconsistent across the franchise. The Tails of the Modern games is not written like the Tails of the Adventure games, but the Tails of (Japanese) Sonic X is written as the Tails from the Adventure games but with the most depth the character ever had - particularly in the area of having a low self-image and feeling like the least useful member of the gang despite his extraordinary skill, which is genuine pathos beyond anything any other portrayal of him has been written with. Obviously AoStH and SatAM Tails are completely separate Tailses. 4Kids X Tails doesn't count because that dub was shit and nothing like the actual show. The Tails of Modern games and Sonic Boom has a personality composed of precisely one word: "smart". He has no other traits. The Boom cast are, like SatAM and AoStH, its own canon with different versions of the characters but its portrayal of Tails is pretty similar to that of the Modern games. X is its own continuity, but it's a lot more closely tied to the games than the other cartoons and explicitly writes them with the same personalities as Adventure 1 and 2. OVA lasted two episodes so we can ignore it. Yes, Tails is my favorite, why do you ask?

But barring Modern/Boom Tails who has had the smarts way exaggerated and the rest of his traits toned done or dropped, I think you can generally say that Tails rivals Eggman in technical skill and possibly book smarts but due to his young age and naivete he wouldn't have the same level of reasoning or critical thinking skills.

1 person likes this

Put it simply this way.

Tails is smarter. But less experienced and more naive.

Kind of like the difference between book smart and street smart.

Edited by Azure Prower

I'd say Eggman is more motivated and ambitious, world domination brings out the creativity.